The Lionheart of Dandelion Vineyards is our old vine Barossa vineyard. These ancient, gnarled vines, many over a hundred years of age, are not only surviving but thriving on their own roots in some of the oldest soils on the planet.
In the first week of March whole bunches of Shiraz were hand harvested, then gently crushed and naturally fermented in open fermenters for eight days, hand plunged twice a day, before careful basket pressing into predominantly older French Oak Barriques to finish fermentation. After 18 months maturation and a racking in the same oak, we bottled our Lionheart vineyard without filtration or fining, to capture the essence of Carl’s vines. Dandelion Vineyards Lionheart is ready to drink and will reward cellaring and decanting.
Lifted blue fruits, blood plum, ripe blackberries and Christmas pudding-like spice flow out of the glass with spicy pepper, and hints of bramble and dark chocolate. Generous mouth filling sweet blackberry, raspberry and plums cover the palate with lashings of sweet spice. Firm but fine tannins and dark chocolaty nuances continue throughout the lengthy palate with youthful finish.
- Sydney International Wine Competition 2019 –Trophy Fuller Bodied Dry Red Wines Category
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2019 – 95 Points
- New Zealand International Wine Show 2018 – Gold Medal • China Wine & Spirits Awards 2018 – Gold Medal
- Perth Royal Wine Awards 2018 – Gold Medal
- Critics International Wine Challenge (USA) 2018 – Silver Medal
- International Wine & Spirit Challenge Tranche 1 2019 – Silver Medal, 92 Points
- Vienna AWC International Wine Challenge 2018 – Silver Medal
- San Francisco International Wine Competition 2018 – Silver Medal
- Cathay Pacific International Wine and Spirit Competition (Hong Kong) 2018 – Silver Medal
- The Seguin Moreau Great Australian Shiraz Challenge 2018 – Silver Medal
- James Halliday Wine Companion – 95 Points